Environment, Health & Safety
As we develop our operations, Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) will remain at the forefront of everything we do — from making or servicing products to disposing of waste.
EHS aT PIEDMONT
We are committed to conducting business in a manner that is operationally and environmentally safe for the communities in which we operate with our focus anchored in maintaining the safety, security and health of our employees, our customers and the public.
At Piedmont Lithium we strive to achieve benchmarks and performance standards that go beyond what is asked for in compliance laws related to environmental, health & safety that pertain to our daily operations. We will:
- Ensure our emissions meet, or are materially below, established legal requirements and guidelines in order to remain a low-carbon producer
- Minimize our physical footprint by mitigating any and all effects we might have on local water and environmental resources.
- Maintain transparency by sustaining open lines of communication with the community and local government.
- Prevent any environmental impact on the overall community including landowners and low-income areas.
With environmental sustainability at the forefront of our principles, we have worked closely with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to establish guidelines to safeguard community tributaries, wetlands and waterways as part of the U.S. Clean Water Act (33 U.S.C 1344).
Piedmont will obtain it’s electricity supply from low-carbon sources including a newly constructed, advanced natural gas generating station. All operations will include non-carbon nuclear and solar sources and exclude coal-fired power generation from our energy mix. Our long-term goal is to reach zero emissions by moving to 100% hydroelectric power by 2030.
Piedmont is committed to implementing policies that ensure the fair treatment of all employees and community members regardless of race, color, national origin, or income level.
- Following the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
- Contribution to the clean energy transition in key sectors, such as transportation through energy-efficient and environmentally friendly technologies
- Carbon neutral in our operations over the lifetime of our project
- Plants powered by 100% solar generated energy
- Minimal water use
- By-products mean less waste per ton compared to other hard rock mining operations
- Processing technology with lowest emissions profile
- Shortest transportation distances in the world reduce carbon footprint and environmental impact